Since 2017, the Social Justice Committee (SJC) at Holy Cross has been working on many fronts that touch the lives of our brothers and sisters through education, advocacy, and action.
Our Vision Statement
The Holy Cross Social Justice Committee (HC-SJC) is a vehicle through which parishioners can take the Word of God and bring it to life through the action of serving the Jesus in others.
Driving Our Mission
The HC-SJC is focusing on urgent and timely issues facing our community, as well as longer more systemic issues that need our attention.
AREAS OF SERVICE
- ENVIRONMENT (based on Pope Francis’ encyclical Laudato Sí, On Care for Our Common Home): Sustainability, climate actions, earth day programs, environmental justice, ecology
- IMMIGRATION (based on John 17:21 – “That all may be one as you Father, and I are one.”): Border conditions, accompanying immigrants at court, integrating immigrants into society
- BASIC HUMAN NEEDS (based on Corporal Works of Mercy 1-4): Providing food, clothing, and shelter for those needing care
- JUSTICE INEQUITY (based on Matthew 5:6 – Hungering and thirsting for righteousness): racism, voter suppression, gerrymandering, criminal justice reform, unjust laws
- PROTECTION OF ALL HUMAN LIFE (based on Matthew 25:40 – “Whatever you do to the least of my brothers and sisters, you do to me.”): Abortion, all of life womb to tomb, capital punishment
- TRAINING, EDUCATION, AND OUTREACH (based on the Spiritual Works of Mercy – instruct the ignorant and counsel the doubtful and John 17:21 – “…that all may be one.”): Study of Pope Francis encyclicals and other writings, social teaching of the church, pastor’s weekly bulletin column, listening sessions
The Stewards of Our Earth bulletin column, published weekly since October 2018, focuses on all these issues and more to inform and to provide opportunities to act.
The SJC meets 5 times a year on Mondays at 7:30 p.m. as a whole committee. In between, subcommittees are planning and doing their work.
Lord Jesus Christ, the Spirit comes to renew the face of the earth. Make us worthy stewards of the earth you have given us for our home and give us strength and courage to pursue a just society for all.