Focus Questions: Is our experience of diversity, as we come to know it at Holy Cross, a goal in itself, or is it a tool we can use to achieve some greater goal? If it is a tool, to what purpose or use can we put it?
Main Ideas from the gathering
5 PM Mass
- Understanding needs to grow
- inclusion: racial, ethnic, disabled, etc.
- “crossing boundary” is important – increases knowledge
- helps one grow more than a symbol
- get to know others, Sunday Social works
- Suggestion: dinners with various cultures
- helps to learn and adjust
- elephant in the room: Gay Community “Are we excluding people.”
- Stop when you see someone you don’t know and introduce yourself
- Forgiveness may be needed. Pray for person who hurts you.
9 AM Mass
- Gift: listening can help foster understanding
- celebrate differences – tell the story of our diversity.
- “All are Welcome” Use the (Mission) statement as an example of diversity
- “Come as you are”. Quirkiness works.
- we see diversity in our parish. Goal: to appreciate diversity in our every day
- need to educate people that we are open. Reaching out is essential
- immigrants are here – do we listen?
- people who used to come – where are they?
- not a goal; it’s a blessing. Openness to differences can be a goal
11 AM Mass
- Diversity: differences between true and false diversity. True diversity is authentic because it is practiced, involved.
- Further the mission: “to love one another” – God loves everyone.
- Philosopher said, “We are becoming all the time…” Discernment is needed to weave together diversity.
- I came because of diversity. Maybe Holy Cross could be a hub for diversity. We need young people
- Gift. Diversity is a gift we have been given. How do we use this gift?
- Commonweal and America magazines. Speaker: Jean Luc Marion (You Tube) Sources of modern thought – Christian and Catholic
- Diverse persons: How is it possible to express in real terms the Welcome?
- Welcome the person. Stay Catholic and compassionate. Diversity of experience includes separated and divorced Catholics
- LGBT face real obstacles. How is it possible to express in real terms the welcome, incorporation of people. Get to know the person. Gay or Trans – see the person
- How do we show people what it means to be Catholic? Mission: to extend compassion
- Invite others to Social Sunday. There is power in the invitation.
- Awareness, education, and advocacy is needed in areas of diversity.
- Catholic Social Teaching – begins with Human Dignity.
- Dialog vs. Discussion. Get to know the person – leads to an understanding
- Focus: Jesus who is “The Way”. Goal: Look around and get to know people. Don’t get bogged down.
6 PM Mass
- Diversity is a goal. We need to reach out to all of God’s people. Also a tool. We not only gather – we need to be open to others and use diversity to understand and improve the world around us.
- Diversity is a continuous process
- It is a way of welcoming those around us as Jesus would.
- I wonder if the word “tool” is the right word. It is a directional posture. Not so much a way of being but a mindset. It points us toward a way of understanding ourselves.
- It is an orientation of our mind. An attitude by which we do everything we do.
- If we live as Jesus wants us to, or goal is to be one. If we love that way, diversity happens.
- Our mindset leads us.
- If we live as all may be one, diversity happens.
- Unity is different from uniformity. If diversity is the goal, what are the objectives (actions to get there)?
- Social Sunday happens because we are looking for a way to be inclusive. Happily, we find ourselves in a diverse community.
- Holy Cross is mostly older people. Young people think the Catholic church is too boring. But then often they come back.
- Race is an obvious difference but not a deep difference. I grew up in an integrated area but I never thought about race.
- I think we could do a better job reaching out to youth.
- I was disappointed in the Synod process that we did not have the input of those who are no longer here.
- Why can’t we meet in church?
- I like the idea of a meeting area within the church.
Additional Comment: via phone call
- Diversity is a part of Holy Cross. Don’t go back to the history in the 60s. If person want to know the history of the parish “integration” or “merger”, let them have a discussion separate from the meeting. Stay with the present!
- “That All May Be One”;
- “Come as you are”;
- “Let all the nations praise the Lord.”;
- “All are Welcome”;
- “Liberty and Justice for all”;
- “Diversity: ask to the party. Inclusion: ask to dance”
Possible Events (TBD):
Multi-cultural Mass; Permanent Committee (Diversity); Various Programs on Diversity; Gatherings in church
Back to Adult Faith Formation